Friday, July 23, 2010

A Conundrum

So, I decided to give my RE's office a call to let them know about the miscarriage and ask what our plan would be for when we started trying again.  (On a completely side note, I just had to say the phrase, "Stop licking your magnifying glass!"  What kind of life do I live?!  lol)  The nurse called me back yesterday afternoon right before closing time.  She wanted to know the story (which is getting easier and easier to recount without getting all emotional...not that I want to talk about it a bunch), and she said she'd have to talk to a doctor, but probably they'd just have me start the provera at some point and call for my baseline.  Then, they'd just do a cycle like the one we got pregnant with: femara and follistim.  I asked her if they'd start me at 150, since they'd had to up me from the 100 and she said that would probably be the plan.  I asked her if I should just start my provera mid-August (safe in the knowledge that it will be late-August/early-September when my period starts), and she said she'd ask the doctor that, too when she talked to him.

So, I get a call this morning from a nurse saying that the previous nurse had talked to the doctor (one that I hadn't met yet.  I always forget how many stinking doctors there are there!), and he said I could start my provera NOW!  I was pretty surprised to hear this, as Dr.S had been explicit in her instructions about waiting 2 cycles/8 weeks.  I mentioned this to the nurse, with the addendum that Dr. S had been concerned that my lining wouldn't be sufficient to carry a pregnancy if I tried again too soon.  "But, I imagine that's a non-issue since they'll do ultrasounds, right?"  The nurse agreed.

So, here's my problem (finally, I know!): do I go ahead and start it once I pick up my provera?  Or do I wait?  On the plus side, it is sooner and we could ditch the condoms!  LOL!  On the other side, we had ourselves emotionally ready for starting in September.  Also, if I start the provera soon, AF will probably arrive right in time for my sister's (outdoor) wedding on August 13, and, if we get pregnant, we'd be due right when my brother will be graduating from high school in May.  I'd really rather not be bleeding profusely in a bridesmaids dress or miss my brother's graduation, so probably I'll wait a week or so before taking the provera, should we decide to go that way.  Nick and I still need to talk about it, so a decision has not been made yet, I just wanted your opinions!

4 comments:

Alex July 23, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

Definitely talk to your hubby, and DEFINITELY wait until you're ready to get back on the TTC horse, but if you're ready, just go for it! My thought about planning your life based on estimated due dates: don't. I have spent way too much energy thinking about what I won't be able to do if this works, and nothing seems to have worked yet, so I figure when it happens, I'll figure it out. But that's just me...

Good luck when you start TTC again - so exciting!

The Flukens July 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

I agree with the comment above from Alex. You can play your life around due dates. God has a plan and HE will make it all work out. If you feel ready, then go for it!

lifefamilysanity July 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

You did ask...

If you're RE is comfortable with you trying again so soon, that's great. Femara is far less taxing on your lining than Clomid, and your RE will be doing ultrasounds to ensure a nice fluffy lining.

That said... I would wait a month past when you "feel ready." Even if our first cycle after Bean would have been a BFN or even a keeper baby or anything other than another miscarriage, I wasn't ready. I thought I was, but I wasn't. The whole process of cycling brought too much to the surface and made me really depressed (which may or may not have affected the outcome, who knows). Every ultrasound was a flashback to "the bad one." Every blood draw was a flashback to the beta days. That was just the cycling, not even related to the outcome.

That said, you are handling this way, way, way better than I did, so you probably will be ready sooner than I was (and you do have Asher, who seems to be helping you a lot), but, it's still better to be really sure because if it affects you that way it's a very slippery downhill slope.

I'm really not trying to scare you (just sharing a first hand experience, your mileage may vary), and if you really feel ready to go forward, then you should. Been thinking about you!

Brenda July 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

Well, I don't know nothing about birthin no babies, but I love you and I'm praying for everything to work out perfectly in God's perfect time. And for you to have the wisdom to know what to do! MUAH! :)